Use these links to find practical support or services in Victoria (VIC), or to put you in touch with support groups.

Palliative Care Organisations Palliative Care Victoria. Phone: (03) 9662 9644

Victorian Paediatric Palliative Care Program, Royal Children’s Hospital
Palliative Care Australia. Phone: (02) 6232 0700
Carers Support and respite Brothers and sisters support (associated with Compassionate Friends VIC)

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre.
Phone: 1800 052 222

Compassionate Friends VIC (Bereavement.)
Phone: 1800 641 091

Healthdirect lists resources for those caring for others as well as information on respite care and residential care

Myagedcare website has some helpful information for carers. Phone: 1800 200 422

The Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia produces a brochure (101kb pdf) outlining the types of help available to carers

Victorian Carers Association

Victorian Government Carer Card Program. Phone: 1800 901 958

Tandem represents Victorian mental health carers and produces a list of care support groups with meeting times and places

For young carers: Young Carers Australia - Victoria

Respite Care
Carer Gateway provides an easy way to find respite service providers in your area.

annecto is a not-for-profit organization offering a range of services including respite and other support for carers

Commonwealth Home support Programme. There is also a National Carer Counselling Program on Freecall: 1800 242 636.

Myagedcare provides an overview of respite care and eligibility and assessment
Freecall: 1800 200 422

Care Connect is a not-for-profit organisation which offers respite and other services. Phone: 1800 116 166

Alfred Health Carer Services supports carers from Melbourne’s south

Respite Victoria provides information on respite services for carers and people with a disability in Victoria
Health Services Aged Care Assessments
Home assessments are conducted by Occupational Therapists from your local Aged Care assessment Team. You can use the ACAT finder tool on the myagedcare website to locate your local ACAT (sometimes called ACAS), by searching either by state and suburb, or by typing in your postcode.

Carers Australia: Information sheets on dealing with hospitals

Health Services Commissioner. Phone: 1300 582 113

Home and Community Care (HACC) Program

Nurse-On-Call Freecall: 1300 60 60 24 is a new phone service that provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service, staffed by registered nurses, will be available from any landline in Victoria for the cost of a local call.

Department of Health Service Finder

GP helpline. For after-hours medical advice when you cannot access your usual GP, call the GP helpline on 1800 022 222 for assistance.

National Health Service Directory
Information and advice Better Health Service Directory

Infoxchange Service Seeker

Kids Help Line. Freecall: 1800 551 800

Legal Advice Line. Phone: 1300 792 387

Lifeline. Phone: 13 11 14 

Mensline Australia. Phone: 1300 789 978

Office of the Public Advocate, Victoria

Advance Care Planning Australia: Information on advance care planning

State Trustees. Freecall: 1300 138 672

Victorian Legal Aid 
Phone: 1300 792 387 
Equipment and supplies Independent Living Centre Victoria
National Palliative Care Equipment Program provides equipment loans to families. For more information about the program and how to access equipment, contact Palliative Care Victoria, phone (03) 9662 9644.
Transport and Travel Angel Flight Australia Coordinates non emergency flights for financially and medically needy people.
Freecall: 1300 726 567

Australian Transport for the Disabled. Car hire with disabled access and self drive vehicles

Disability parking information is available from Vic Roads. Application forms are available from Municipal Councils, find a Council in the online directory

Disabled Person’s Parking. Application forms are available from Municipal Councils

National Public Toilet Map

Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme (VPTAS) (VIC)

Public transport accessibility information

Taxi accessibility

Victorian Patient Transport Assistance Scheme
Financial Assistance Centrelink
Carers' support and other payments
Disability support pension
Health care card

Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides access to a range of services for veterans and war widow/widowers

State Trustees services include will preparation, Enduring Power of Attorney and financial counselling.
Phone: (03) 9667 6466 or 1300 138 672 (country callers)
Help within your home The Commonwealth Government funds a range of services for older Australians. You can find details at the myagedcare website.

Home and Community Care Program
The Home and Community Care (HACC) Program provides community care services to frail aged and younger people with disabilities, and their carers. HACC services are often coordinated by local government agencies, so you could try contacting your local council offices for information.

Home modification: Better Health Channel provides a checklist for use when considering home modifications

Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels Victoria

State Government of Victoria - Making alterations to your home
Complaints Process The Complaint Line website provides guidance on how to make a complaint about health practitioners, with the details for each state, for AHPRA and provides links to other health professional associations.

The Australian Government Aged Care Complaints Commissioner site gives consumers guidance on how to lodge a complaint or raise a concern. This website links to the official online complaint lodgement form which allows the complainant to choose the level of privacy of the complaint.

Last updated 24 April 2018