Northern Territory

Use these links to find practical support or services in the Northern Territory (NT), or to put you in touch with support groups.

Palliative Care Organisations Department of Health 
Phone (Top End): (08) 8922 6761
Phone (Central Australia): (08) 8951 6762

Palliative Care Australia. Phone: (02) 6232 0700
Carers Support and respite Carers NT

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre
Phone: 1800 052 222

Healthdirect lists resources for those caring for others as well as information on respite care and residential care

Myagedcare website has some helpful information for carers.
Phone: 1800 200 422

For young carers: Young Carers Australia - Northern Territory

Respite Care
Carer Gateway provides an easy way to find respite service providers in your area.

Commonwealth Home support Programme. There is also a National Carer Counselling Program on Freecall: 1800 242 636.

Myagedcare provides an overview of respite care and eligibility and assessment
Freecall: 1800 200 422
Health Services Aged Care Assessments
The first step to access government-funded care services is to speak with My Aged Care services about arranging for an assessment by calling 1800 200 422. If you have been assessed and are ready to find a suitable local service provider visit Find a provider on the My Aged Care pages.

Carers Australia: Information sheets on dealing with hospitals

Health Ombudsman Phone: 1800 004 474

GP helpline. For after-hours medical advice when you cannot access your usual GP, call the GP helpline on 1800 022 222 for assistance.

Northern Territory Community Care Centres

National Health Service Directory
Information and advice Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre 
Phone: 1800 052 222
Infoxchange Service Seeker

Kids Help Line. Freecall: 1800 551 800

Lifeline. Phone: 13 11 14 

Mensline Australia. Phone: 1300 789 978

Northern Territory Legal Aid Commission

Advance Care Planning Australia: Information on advance care planning
Equipment and supplies Independent Living Centre. Freecall: 1300 885 886

National Palliative Care Equipment Program provides equipment loans to families. For more information about the program and how to access equipment, phone: (02) 6273 9606.
Transport and Travel Alice Springs bus services

Alice Springs Town Council

Angel Flight Australia Coordinates non emergency flights for financially and medically needy people. Freecall: 1300 726 567

Australian Transport for the Disabled offers national car hire services which includes disabled access and self drive vehicles

Darwin City Council

National Public Toilet Map

Patient Assistance Travel Scheme (NT)

Public transport
Financial Assistance Centrelink
Carers' support and other payments
Disability support pension
Health care card

Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides access to a range of services for veterans and war widow/widowers

NT concession scheme and NT seniors recognition scheme
Help within your home The Commonwealth Government funds a range of services for older Australians. You can find details at the myagedcare website.

Home modification: Better Health Channel provides a checklist for use when considering home modifications

Meals on Wheels
Complaints Process The Complaint Line website provides guidance on how to make a complaint about health practitioners, with the details for each state, for AHPRA and provides links to other health professional associations.

The Australian Government Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission site gives consumers guidance on how to lodge a complaint or raise a concern. This website links to the official online complaint lodgement form which allows the complainant to choose the level of privacy of the complaint.

Last updated 03 January 2019