New South Wales

Use these links to find practical support or services in New South Wales (NSW), or to put you in touch with support groups.

Palliative Care Organisations Palliative Care NSW. Phone: (02) 8076 5600

Palliative Care Australia. Phone: (02) 6232 0700
Carers Support and respite

Carers NSW

Compassionate Friends NSW (Bereavement) 
Freecall: 1800 671 621

Healthdirect lists resources for those caring for others as well as information on respite care and residential care

Myagedcare website has some helpful information for carers.
Freecall: 1800 200 422

For young carers: Young Carers New South Wales

Respite Care
Carer Gateway provides an easy way to find respite service providers in your area. Phone: 1800 422 737

Commonwealth Home support Programme

Carer Gateway Australia has a Carer Counselling Program Freecall 1800 422 737, or go to the webpage and Request a Callback and they will ring you

Myagedcare provides an overview of respite care and eligibility and assessment
Freecall: 1800 200 422

Care Connect is a not-for-profit organisation which offers respite and other services. Phone: 1800 692 464

Health Services Aged Care Assessments
The first step to access government-funded care services is to speak with My Aged Care services about arranging for an assessment by calling 1800 200 422. If you have been assessed and are ready to find a suitable local service provider visit Find a provider on the My Aged Care pages.

Aged Care Guide has a list of respite services in your state

Carers Australia: Information sheets on dealing with hospitals

GP helpline. For after-hours medical advice when you cannot access your usual GP, call the GP helpline on 1800 022 222 for assistance.

Health Care Complaints Commission
Phone: 1800 043 159

NSW Health Directory for all health services in NSW

National Health Service Directory
Information and advice Carer Gateway

Disability Advocacy NSW

Information on Disability and Education Awareness Services
Disability & Aged Information Service

The Disability Trust Phone: 1300 347 224

Infoxchange Service Seeker

Kids Help Line. Freecall: 1800 55 1800

Legal Aid (NSW)

Lifeline. Phone: 13 11 14  

Mensline Australia. Phone: 1300 789 978

Office of the Public Guardian

Physical Disability Council of NSW

Advance Care Planning Australia: Information on advance care planning
Equipment and supplies Enable NSW aids and equipment program (also known as PADP) in NSW provides assistance programs for access to a range of equipment.

Independent Living Centre NSW

In some cases the Australian government also funds payments to help with the cost of running medical equipment at home, such as a dialysis machine or an oxygen concentrator.
Transport and Travel Angel Flight Australia Coordinates non emergency flights for financially and medically needy people. Freecall: 1300 726 567

Australian Transport for the Disabled. Car hire with disabled access and self drive vehicles

Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (NSW)

National Public Toilet Map

New South Wales Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS)

New South Wales regional transport and holiday information interactive map

Patient Transport Service (PTS) for non-emergency ambulance transport

Roads and Maritime Services Mobility (Disabled) Parking Scheme
Financial Assistance Centrelink
Carers' support and other payments
Disability support pension
Health care card

Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides access to a range of services for veterans and war widow/widowers
Help within your home The Commonwealth Government funds a range of services for older Australians. You can find details at the myagedcare website.

The Department of Social Services Commonwealth Home Support Programme
If you want to stay in your own home, but need some help with daily tasks, or require entry level care, the Commonwealth Home Support Programme may be able to help.

Home modification: Better Health Channel provides a checklist for use when considering home modifications

New South Wales Meals on Wheels

The Australian government MyAgedcare website, what services are available and how to access them.
Complaints Process The Complaint Line website provides guidance on how to make a complaint about health practitioners, with the details for each state, for AHPRA and provides links to other health professional associations.

The Australian Government Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission site gives consumers guidance on how to lodge a complaint or raise a concern. This website links to the official online complaint lodgement form which allows the complainant to choose the level of privacy of the complaint.

Last updated 07 August 2020