Australian Capital Territory

Use these links to find practical support or services in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), or to put you in touch with support groups.


Palliative Care Organisations Palliative Care ACT Inc.  Phone: (02) 6255 5771

Canberra Health Services provides palliative care support for all people in the ACT

Palliative Care Australia. Phone: (02) 6232 0700
Carers Support and respite

Carers ACT

Compassionate Friends ACT (Bereavement). 
Phone: (02) 6286 6134

Healthdirect lists resources for those caring for others as well as information on respite care and residential care

Myagedcare website has some helpful information for carers. Phone: 1800 200 422.

CarersACT - Young carer supports 
Phone: (02) 6296 9900

Respite Care
Carer Gateway provides an easy way to find respite service providers in your area. Phone: 1800 422 737

Commonwealth Home support Programme. 

Carer Gateway Australia has a Carer Counselling Program Freecall 1800 422 737, or go to the webpage and Request a Callback and they will ring you.

Myagedcare provides an overview of respite care and eligibility and assessment
Freecall: 1800 200 422

Health Services

Aged Care Assessments
The first step to access government-funded care services is to speak with My Aged Care services about arranging for an assessment by calling 1800 200 422. If you have been assessed and are ready to find a suitable local service provider visit Find a provider on the My Aged Care pages.

Aged Care Guide has a list of respite services in your state

Carers Australia: Information sheets on dealing with hospitals

Community Health Centres

Health Service Complaints. Phone: (02) 6205 2222

GP helpline. For after-hours medical advice when you cannot access your usual GP, call the GP helpline on 1800 022 222 for assistance.

National Health Service Directory

ACT Government Health Service Finder

Information and advice Rise Above - Capital region cancer relief

Volunteering and CONTACT ACT

Carer Gateway
Infoxchange Service Seeker

Kids Help Line. Freecall: 1800 55 1800

Legal Aid (ACT)

Lifeline. Phone: 13 11 14 

Mensline Australia. Phone: 1300 789 978

Advance Care Planning Australia: Information on advance care planning

Women’s Information and Referral Centre 
Equipment and supplies

ACT Equipment Scheme – Oxygen and Equipment Services

Independent Living Centre 

In some cases the Australian government also funds payments to help with the cost of running medical equipment at home, such as a dialysis machine or an oxygen concentrator.

Transport and Travel Transport Canberra Information on accessible travel

Angel Flight Australia Coordinates non emergency flights for financially and medically needy people. Freecall: 1300 726 567

Australian Transport for the Disabled. Car hire with disabled access and self drive vehicles.

Interstate Patient Travel Assistance Scheme (IPTAS) (ACT)

National Public Toilet Map

Taxi subsidy scheme. Phone: (02) 6207 0028
Financial Assistance Care Inc. Financial Counseling Service and the Consumer Law Centre of the ACT

Carers' support and other payments
Disability support pension
Health care card

Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides access to a range of services for veterans and war widow/widowers
Help within your home The Commonwealth Government funds a range of services for older Australians. You can find details at the myagedcare website.

Community Care Program

The Australian Government Commonwealth Home Support Programme
If you want to stay in your own home, but need some help with daily tasks, or require entry level care, the Commonwealth Home Support Programme may be able to help.

Home modification: Better Health Channel provides a checklist for use when considering home modifications

Meals on Wheels
Complaints Process The Complaint Line website provides guidance on how to make a complaint about health practitioners, with the details for each state, for AHPRA and provides links to other health professional associations.

The Australian Government Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission site gives consumers guidance on how to lodge a complaint or raise a concern. This website links to the official online complaint lodgement form which allows the complainant to choose the level of privacy of the complaint.

Last updated 07 August 2020