CareSearch palliative care knowledge network - Logo CareSearch Home

South Australia

Use these links to find practical support or services in South Australia (SA), or to put you in touch with support groups.

Palliative Care Organisations Palliative Care Council of South Australia
Phone: (08) 8291 4137

List of Metropolitan and Regional Palliative Care Centres
Palliative Care Australia. Phone: (02) 6232 4433 or 
Freecall: 1800 660 055
Carers Support and respite Carers SA

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre
Phone: 1800 052 222

Compassionate Friends SA (Bereavement)
Phone: (08) 8351 0344

Healthdirect lists carer resources and 22 current links to information to help carers and families

Myagedcare website has some helpful information for carers. Phone: 1800 200 422

The Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia produces a brochure (101kb pdf) outlining the types of help available to carers

For young carers: Young Carers Australia - South Australia

Respite Care
ACRO - All Cultures Respite Options offers short-term respite for carers who live at home with a person with an intellectual disability. They have offices in 5 states. Phone: (08) 8234 5550

Australian Government National Respite for Carers Program (NRCP). There is also a National Carer Counselling Program on Freecall: 1800 242 636.

Myagedcare provides an overview of respite care eligibility. Freecall: 1800 200 422

Care Connect is a not-for-profit organisation which offers respite and other services. Phone: 1800 116 166

Carer Support and Respite Centre operates throughout Adelaide. Phone: (08) 8379 5777

The Wesley Mission also provides services which are outlined on their website.
Health Services Aged Care Assessments
Home assessments are conducted by Occupational Therapists from your local Aged Care assessment Team. You can use the ACAT finder tool on the myagedcare
website to locate your local ACAT (sometimes called ACAS), by searching either by state and suburb, or by typing in your postcode.

Carers Australia: Information sheets on dealing with hospitals

Health Ombudsman. Freecall: 1800 182 150

National Health Service Directory
Information and advice Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre
Phone: 1800 052 222

Advance Care Directive

Disability Information & Resource Centre

GP helpline. For after-hours medical advice when you cannot access your usual GP, call the GP helpline on 1800 022 222 for assistance.

Infoxchange Service Seeker

Kids Help Line. Freecall: 1800 551 800

Legal Services Commission of South Australia

Lifeline. Phone: 13 11 14 

Mensline Australia. Phone: 1300 789 978

Office of Public Advocate


Seniors Information Service
Equipment and supplies Independent Living Centre
National Palliative Care Equipment Program provides equipment loans to families. For more information about the program and how to access equipment, Freecall: 1800 660 055.
Transport and Travel City Connector is a FREE city and North Adelaide bus service that is accessible to people with disabilities

Angel Flight Australia Coordinates non emergency flights for financially and medically needy people. Freecall: 1300 726 567

Australian Transport for the Disabled. Car hire with disabled access and self drive vehicles

City Of Marion Community Care Services

Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Services Directory

Great Southern Railway Travel Concession Fact Sheet (105kb pdf)

National Public Toilet Map

Plus One Companion Card (Transport Assistance)

Special medical services transport

Transport SA offices (Disabled parking)
Financial Assistance Centrelink
Carers' support and other payments
Disability support pension
Health care card

Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides access to a range of services for veterans and war widow/widowers
Help within your home The Commonwealth Government funds a range of services for older Australians. You can find details at the myagedcare website.

Home and Community Care Program
The Home and Community Care (HACC) Program provides community care services to frail aged and younger people with disabilities, and their carers. HACC services are often coordinated by local government agencies, so you could try contacting your local council offices for information.

Home modification: Better Health Channel provides a checklist for use when considering home modifications

Meals on Wheels
South Australia Meals on Wheels
Complaints Process The Complaint Line website provides guidance on how to make a complaint about health practitioners, with the details for each state, for AHPRA and provides links to other health professional associations.

The Australian Government Aged Care Complaints Scheme gives consumers guidance on how to lodge a complaint or raise a concern. This website links to the official online complaint lodgement form which allows the complainant to choose the level of privacy of the complaint.

Last updated 20 March 2014