Finances are also likely to be an issue for those who care for you. Travel, loss of income and various out-of-pocket expenses can add up. Any financial assistance they receive will not only take some pressure off them, but will also ease some of the concerns you may have about the sacrifices those around you are making.

What may help

Government benefits

Government payments available through Centrelink include:

  • A non-means-tested allowance for anyone caring for an adult with a condition who needs care and attention.
  • A means-tested payment for people who provide constant care in the home of a person with a severe disability or medical condition.
  • The Carer Adjustment Payment for families in which a child aged up to six is diagnosed with a severe illness, medical condition or a major disability.
  • The Employment Preparation Service to help caregivers who have been out of the workforce for two years or more return to work.

For information on any of these payments, go to Centrelink or phone 13 27 17.

Last updated 30 August 2015