What may help

Get expert advice

The Justice Department websites for each state often have good information on the different types of guardianship and powers of attorney. You can also try looking up the Public Trustee in each state or territory which can also help you make a will.

You may feel more comfortable letting a solicitor handle it all for you. They should be able to talk you through the planning decisions and draw up the papers.

Clear the obstacles

You will want your family and those looking after your affairs to strike as little red tape as possible. It may be wise, to transfer a joint bank account into your partner’s name to stop the account being frozen if you die. Your accountant or solicitor, or even a palliative care social worker may talk this through with you.

Return to CareSearch pages
Print options


Life, Hope & Reality was developed and written by Afaf Girgis, Claire Johnson, and Sylvie Lambert with funding from the NHMRC and Cancer Council NSW.

Last updated 30 August 2015