A range of resources are available to guide nurses as they support patients, carers and medical officers, when relating to palliative care issues.
Clinical Resources (Palliative)
- Therapeutic Guidelines – Palliative Care - an authoritative handbook for symptom management in palliative patients. It is available online in many organisations or can be purchased.
- The Palliative Care Network of Wisconsin's (US) 'Fast Facts and Concepts', provide concise, practical, peer-reviewed and evidence-based summaries on key palliative care topics important to clinicians and trainees caring for patients facing serious illness. Many relate to specific medications or to medication use in general.
Clinical Resources (General)
- The eviQ opioid calculator - provides clinicians with an online tool to support the accurate conversion of one opioid regimen to an equianalgesic dose of another. (Registration required)
- Australian Medicines Handbook - provides independent general prescribing information. It is available online in many organisations or can be purchased.
- Palliativedrugs.com - A British site containing articles discussing aspects of management, a compendium of protocols, audit tools, research tools, and a bulletin board for palliative care practitioners. Most of the site required registration which is free with the purchase of the Palliative Care Formulary hardcopy text
- Eastern Metropolitan Region Palliative Care Consortium (Victoria) Syringe Driver Drug Compatibilities - Guide to Practice 2013 (v 2 Nov 2014) provides some information on the compatibility of medicines within a subcutaneous syringe.
To speak with an expert on medicines, call your local Medicines Information Service. These are usually located within the pharmacy department of your local hospital.