Financial Resources

Various resources and organisations provide practical help and advice to help with finances during and after an illness.


Information can be obtained through the Centrelink website or by phoning 13 27 17. Services Australia also has financial information services. They offer a confidential interview.

  • A Sickness Allowance is paid on a 'temporary' basis to people who are employed and who are temporarily unable to work due to a medical condition
  • A Disability Support Pension is available for those who are 'assessed as not being able to work 15 hours or more per week in the next 2 years or be retrained for such work within 2 years because of illness, injury, or disability'
  • A Pharmaceutical Allowance may be paid when a person receives a range of government pensions
  • A Health Care Card enables health and medical services to be offered at reduced rates
  • A Pensioner Concession Card is available for persons receiving a range of government pensions. It enables reduced fares for bus and rail transport, motor vehicle registration, telephone and local council rates.

Carer Resources

Ambulance cover

Information on state or territory ambulance services can be found on the following websites (Ambulance cover is also available through private health insurance):

There may be a taxi transport subsidy scheme in your state.

After death

The Moneysmart website has a page on dealing with losing your partner.

Last updated 15 July 2020