Financial Help and Advice

You may sometimes have financial problems. If so, you need to get help and advice early. The following may help:

  • It is important to get advice from a licenced financial advisor
  • Banks, credit unions and building Societies have financial planners
  • Many unions have advisors. They may be able to help with superannuation or personal leave entitlements
  • Superannuation funds provide access to advice
  • Personal accountants can be an important source of advice
  • A social worker can also provide advice. They are at hospitals, palliative care services or community health services.

It is important that you and your partner both have access to bank accounts. This helps to ensure financial security for you both. Consider obtaining legal advice. You might wish to have an Enduring Power of Attorney. This means you can appoint someone to make financial decisions for you. They can use your bank accounts and pay your bills. They can also sell or buy property or shares on your behalf.

Last updated 24 January 2017