Free online aged care learning modules
An article written by Susan Quarmby
The Wicking Dementia Research and Education Centre at the University of Tasmania has been funded by the Department of Health and Aged Care to develop and deliver a free learning resource, the Equip Aged Care Learning Packages.
Anyone interested in the aged care sector, including personal care workers, nurses, allied health professionals, volunteers, and families, can access the learning packages to help enhance their knowledge and keep up to date with current practices.
The Equip Aged Care Learning introductory package offers new starters in the aged care workforce and those seeking employment in the sector, the opportunity to gain essential knowledge to assist them to launch into their career in aged care. This package is also of benefit for volunteers, informal carers, consumers, and anyone with an interest in the care of older people.
The Equip Aged Learning refresher package is a useful resource for aged care workers to keep abreast of current trends in aged care and to maintain their continuing professional development.
As each 10 minute module highlights key concepts of each topic, the content is designed to ignite learners' interest, consolidate key learning points and encourage participants to continue their learning by accessing curated further learning and additional resource links contained within each module. The content in each module has been developed in close collaboration with academic and other subject matter experts, peak bodies, and expert advisory groups to ensure it reflects contemporary practice and meets the needs of learners.
Equip online module topics:
- The Australian Aged Care System
- Exploring the role of Nurses, Personal Care Workers, and Allied Health Professionals working in Aged Care
- The Aged Care Quality Standards
- Supporting People Living with Dementia
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care
- Person-centred Care
- Promoting Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Prevention of Falls
- Wound Management and Pressure Injury Prevention
- Cross Cultural Awareness
- Oral Health Promotion
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Awareness
- Trauma Informed Care
- Hearing Health
Benefits of the program:
- Free, entirely online, and accessible from your phone, tablet, or computer
- Learn when it suits you – modules can be accessed at any time
- Each module takes only 10 minutes to complete
- Available to anyone with an interest in the care of older adults
- Certificates are awarded on the completion of each module
- Health Professionals completing Equip Aged Care Learning Packages may be eligible for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points.
On completion of all modules in the introductory or refresher learning package, an additional Equip Aged Care Learning Package certificate is available at no charge which details learning and CPD hours.
For more information please visit equiplearning.utas.edu.au
Email email@example.com or phone 1800 982 600
Project Lead, Short Courses
Wicking Dementia Research & Education Centre