Case conferences that are well targeted, organised, conducted and documented can:
- Ensure family understanding of the progressive nature of dementia and the need for a palliative approach to care in the advanced stages
- Increase understanding of the goals of care and best management approaches
- Build respect between staff and families that acknowledges their different contributions to care of the person with dementia and help them work together as a team
- Ensure that care decisions are based on best available evidence and what the person would have wanted for him/herself if (s)he were able to choose
- Enhance comfort and dignity as the person approaches the end of life.
Last updated 02 September 2015